Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Answer to "Why I like to torture my feet"


Yes well you may have guessed it, I do not actually " Like to torture my feet" as such as I am very very fond of my feet, because of them I am able to run great distances and so I am very grateful for them.

I am a "newbie" Ultra-marathon runner (an Ultra-marathon being anything over 26.2 miles) some friends are kind enough to point out that an Ultra must exist because a marathon can't be long enough !!
I wasted 10 years of my life to the addiction of nicotine, overuse at times of alcohol amongst other things at times. I get deep satisfaction from breathing in a fresh lung full of air for every inhalation of a laced concoction of chemicals (over 130) that I took willingly during my smoking days. I am so grateful for finally kicking this habit, now over 10 years ago, one of the best things I have ever done !!

So I have only really been entering in to 50 K, 50 Mile trail races since the beginning of 2010, approx. 2 years ago my longest run was a 3 mile loop in the Presidio of San Francisco and I remember thinking this was a good distance.

I first started to get interested in Ultra's after a talk I attended by the "Ultra- marathon man "Dean Karnazes" back in 2008. He seemed so positive, alive and energetic when he told his story of Endurance Running.
So on that evening I decided that I would like to run 1 marathon in my lifetime and then be able to cross it off my lifetime "To Do List".

I decided to first try running a half marathon and see how that went before committing to a full marathon.
I managed to talk a good friend in to joining me for the Kaiser Permanante Half marathon that February and got a little hooked, the rest they say is "history."





























No comments:

Post a Comment